1. MAKE WHOOPEE: US research suggests that having sex at least twice a week helps men cut their risk of having a heart attack by a whopping 45 per cent.
2. HUG IT OUT: Got a spare 10 seconds? Giving or receiving cuddles can reduce your blood pressure and stress levels, which in turn will give your heart a health boost.
3. LAUGH ABOUT IT: Studies suggest that having a laugh can reduce inflammation in your arteries, increase your body’s levels of ‘good’ HDL cholesterol and decrease stress hormones. Even better, the positive effects of laughter can last for up to 24 hours. Gotta love that!
4. TREAT YOURSELF: Avocados, dark chocolate and antioxidant-rich extra virgin olive oil have all been shown to give your heart a healthy boost. Extra virgin olive oil can also help lower your blood glucose levels (BGLs) after eating.
5. BUDDY UP TO BEETHOVEN: A British study found that listening to classical music – specifically, songs with a repeated 10-second rhythm – lowered participants’ blood pressure. That's music to our ears!