Help hit your daily veggie target with this perfect pastry.
2 sheets 25% reduced-fat puff pastry or gluten-free puff pastry
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
4 brown onions, very thinly sliced
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
½ bunch kale, thick stem removed, finely shredded
2 Tbsp thyme leaves
8 x 50g eggs
160ml (2⁄3 cup) skim milk
Freshly ground black pepper, to season
150g low-fat fresh ricotta
75g (3 cups) salad leaves, to serve
200ml glass skim milk, per person, to serve
Line a 2.5cm-deep, 19.5cm x 27.5cm rectangular loose-bottomed tart tin with pastry sheets, pushing the 2 pieces together to join. Trim and discard excess pastry. Prick with a fork and refrigerate for 20 minutes to chill.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often, for 30 minutes or until onion is very soft. Increase heat to high and add vinegar and sugar.
3. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, adding kale in the last 2-3 minutes so it starts to wilt. Transfer mixture to a large shallow dish. Stir in thyme. Set aside to cool completely.
4. Preheat oven to 190°C (fan-forced). Line pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Put on an oven tray. Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the paper and beans. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C (fan-forced). Bake pastry for a further 6-8 minutes or until just cooked. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
5. Put eggs, milk and pepper in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Spread onion mixture over the base of the pastry case. Sprinkle over ricotta. Pour over egg mixture and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and set.
6. Cut tart into 6 pieces. Serve with salad leaves and milk.
Nutrition Info PER SERVE: 1340kJ, protein 22g, total fat 11.3g (sat. fat 4.6g), carbs 34g, fibre 3g, sodium 311mg. • Carb exchanges 2 1⁄3. • GI estimate low.