Healthy eating is good for the mind as well as the body! Add these tasty winners to your plate for a healthy brain boost:
1. Oily fish and seafood are the richest source of omega-3 fats, thought to reduce inflammation and promote the growth of brain cells and improve cognitive function.
2. Fruit and veg, particularly dark green leafy vegetables and colourful produce such as berries, grapes, broccoli, tomatoes and spinach, are rich in antioxidants which may protect against oxidative damage in the brain.
3. Nuts are a rich source of vitamin E which can help slow the progress of Alzheimer’s. Almonds, hazelnuts and pine nuts are particularly high in this brain-protecting vitamin, so add some to your snack pack today.
4. Legumes such as lentils, chickpeas and dried beans, as well as nuts and whole grains, have been shown to boost cognitive function in people who consume them regularly.
5. Berries, a Harvard study of more than 16,000 women over age 70 found those who ate the most blueberries and strawberries had a slower rate of memory decline. ‘Remember’ to add them to the shopping list!