Pinch saffron threads
2 Tbsp boiling water
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 brown onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
8 small chicken drumsticks, skin removed
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Massel Ultracube Salt Reduced Vegetable Stock Cube
500ml (2 cups) boiling water
90g (½ cup) Blu Gourmet Pearl Couscous
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
1 bunch baby carrots, scrubbed, trimmed, halved if large
420g can no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed and drained
200g green beans, trimmed, halved
Coriander and parsley leaves, to serve (optional)
1. Combine saffron and water in a small heatproof bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until onion softens. Transfer onion to a plate and set aside.
3. Increase heat to high and add chicken. Cook for 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally, until chicken is lightly browned.
4. Add ginger and cinnamon. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add combined stock cube and water, couscous, orange zest and juice, onion and saffron water. Stir until well combined, making sure couscous is totally covered with liquid. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
5. Add carrots. Cover and cook for a further 15 minutes. Add chickpeas and beans and stir. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until beans and carrots are tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate. Tear chicken into pieces, discarding bones. Return chicken to dish, sprinkle with herbs, if using, and serve.
Nutrition Info PER SERVE: 1804kJ, protein 41g, total fat 12.2g (sat. fat 3g), carbs 34g, fibre 9g, sodium 402mg. Carb exchanges 2 1/3. GI estimate low.