1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
250g pkt frozen spinach, thawed, moisture squeezed out
250g fresh low-fat ricotta, mashed until smooth
Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
50g egg, lightly whisked
Freshly ground black pepper, to season
12 sheets filo pastry
Olive oil cooking spray
4 cups mixed salad (lettuce, carrot, snow peas), to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C (fan-forced). Line 2 large oven trays with baking paper.
2. Heat oil in a small non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 minutes or until onion softens. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
3. Add spinach, ricotta, lemon zest, egg and pepper to onion mixture. Mix until well combined.
4. Put 1 sheet of pastry on a clean surface and spray with cooking spray. Top with another sheet of pastry. Spray with cooking spray. Top with a third sheet of pastry. Keep remaining sheets covered with a damp tea towel so they don’t dry out. Spray the top sheet with cooking spray.
5. With one of the long sides facing you, cut pastry into 5 even strips. Put 1 Tbsp of the spinach mixture in 1 corner of a strip and fold diagonally to form a triangle. Repeat with remaining pastry strips and spinach mixture.
6. Arrange triangles on prepared tray and spray with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining pastry sheets, cooking spray and spinach mixture to make 20 triangles in total.
7. Bake triangles for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp. Serve with salad.
Nutrition Info PER Serve: 1206kJ, protein 13g, total fat 12g (sat. fat 2.8g), carbs 28g, fibre 6g, sodium 395mg. • Carb exchanges 2. • GI estimate low.